Sunday 9 September, 2007

Fly Away....

It was not for nothing that Hrishkesh Mukherji made the opening shot of 'Zindagi Kaisi ye Paheli' a bunch of balloons receding higher into the skies. There is something utterly fascinating, mysterious, profound and yes - just a tad melancholic about a bunch of balloons flying up and up.
After several years now, I am suddenly reminded of a half-forgotten and yet not really forgotten memory.
I was nine then, and still too young to give up on balloons. We were seated on the terrace, forced to enjoy the moonlight because of the customary power cut. I remember being exteremely bored and bothered when Mom suddenly pointed out a distraction. Nothing less than a large orange and yellow balloon that came floating in! It was evidently losing its byuoant gas for it came close enough to us. I shouted 'Grab it' to Mamma, but she had stretched for it almost before I yelled. But the naughty balloon had plans of its own. It danced out of her reach, landed on a window sill for one tantalizing moment, and then, sort of making one last valiant effort - gathered all its dying energy just like an injured soldier, and flew away.
I still remember the ruckus I created for that balloon. Dad was more than willing to stem my tears and get me a new one but you see - the silly me wanted that balloon and none other.
I often played with balloons since that summer evening. Blown them and burst them, dribbled them and byoued them to the roof. But the sight of a balloon rising in a sky has always made me philosophical at worst and despondent at best. What is it? The ominous parallel to a soul leaving for its last journey? Or a childhood memory converting it into a symbol of treasure found suddenly and lost with equal abruptness? Of unkept promises? Of things that could be and yet just did not materialize even after efforts were made? Of in fact, the futility of effort? I am inclined to think it has become to me a symbol of all these. Also a symbol of the silly, sensitive and stubborn nine year old me. :)

6 comments:

June Nandy Chaudhuri said...

A nostalgic blog.Coloured baloons flying high up towards the sky fascinated me as well since childhood.Till date, it arrests my attention.

Today also when I happen to see an advertisement baloon tied up with a string fastened to a terrace,frantically wanting to break free from its bondage,I remember my young carefree days and I always thought that they reached to someone in the sky.

I guess,we are also somewhat like baloons,withour respective inflated egos and as we grow older gradually we shrink and slowly the life goes out of us and then our spirits fly off to some unknown destination, probably to reach someone up there.

COOLDEEPTEA said...

Nice thought June. Like it for its simplicity and simultaneous depth. Smiles..

viv said...

Baloons going up, if anything, symbolise to me freedom, and free will.

Saying good bye is difficult. And saying it forever is pretty depressing.

idea-ranjeet said...

nice blog....balloons shooting up into the sky, amazes me as well n i suppose every urban child will be.... it signifies 2 things to me- the ultimate freedom one can achieve and a state of loneliness. does these 2 things are the same...i m confused?

Kabir said...

Last evening , while returning from office, I saw a child(not more than six year old) selling balloons .We were stuck in traffic, I was sitting in the window seat of my cab .
That child was knocking at the window, He was not saying anything , Our eyes met once.

In our country , In most cases destiny of child is defined according the family in which he has taken birth, equal opportunity just not exist. Some time I feel so guilty that I am not doing my part to change this. That same routine life , 5 days in a week to office phir weekend. Taarikh badal rahi hai , din nahi badal rahe.

But still the Balloons do some very important things is their sort life span.

Kisi ke liye ek waqt ki roti, aur kisi ke liye thodi khusi

COOLDEEPTEA said...

@ Kabir
Guilt is unnecessary - you should be happy that child was selling balloons and not begging for his livlihood. I have often bought whole bunches off them, just so to encourage them to keep at it :)