Saturday 19 April, 2008

Beware the tricking Bunties - busting the bootpolish brigade

"Didi, do you want me to polish your sandals?" My cousin and me were lolling on the walls of the Pyramids mall on M.G. Rd, Pune, when this query was addressed to us in decent accent and impeccable English. No wonder our heads snapped up. Medium height, thin, sallow-brown complexion, long hair, red jacket, yellow pajamas, barefoot, big smile. In forty seconds, 'Anoop' was diligently polishing our sandals while discussing his mother and sister and his village in Rajasthan and his English education in a nearby Convent. We were thoroughly impressed.

He saw that.

Soon as he had pocketed the modest five rupee remuneration, he struck while the iron was hot.

"Didi, shall I ask you one thing? Please don't take me otherwise, but you can see I am carrying my boot polish stuff in a plastic bag. This way I do not get enough customers. Can you help me buy the proper wood box and equipments?"

I was a little taken aback. Not because I don't expect street children to have such gumption, but because this request was ringing a bell! Where else had I heard this story? A similar emotion was playing on my cousin's face. She too seemed to be grappling with her elusive memory. She came out with 'Raghu' just as I cried out 'Bunty'.

Then she looked at me and spoke out her roommate's name while I mentioned my friend's name.
Readers with me so far? No? You may want to follow the link 'Abhilasha idles' in my 'Blogetarians like me' section. There you may want to read her 'Bunty blog' which may cause several of the chunks of the jigsaw puzzle to fall into place.

There is an idiom in Hindi - 'Tu Daal Daal Main Paat Paat'. The one-up strategy. The counter-move. The stuff that happens during evolution between the prey and the predator - something we called the 'Red Queen Effect' after an intelligent evolutionary biologist read 'Alice in Wonderland'.

We are living in a constant state of tussle - to be fooled or to be callous - that's the question. Intelligent charity - the new mantra of people interested in lavishing shiny 1 rupee nickels on traffic signals.

7 comments:

chirag sharma said...

I have often heard of Forgiveness...and recent meeting of Priyanka Gandhi and Nalini motivated me to dig into institution of FORGIVENESS.I jumped into some interesting News Reports.They tell us how our religous and political leaders use them to their comfort

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/panorama/5402928.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/panorama/5389684.stm

Gulgula said...

Don't mind but ^^^ Lol @ Bianca meeting Nalini and generating compassion.

Coming back to the topic, it sounds like "emotional blackmail" accompanied with some service. It is better than begging, but these kind of enterprising children should really get reservation (instead of skimmed layer in OBC and blah blah). It will do a lot good to the nation.

COOLDEEPTEA said...

Its not emotional blackmail really. More than that its a smart answer to the donor's quib - 'koi kaam kyu nahi karte?' And I don't think its just a few enterprising children. The thing smacks of a 'GANG' in the most approved 'Sanjeev Kumar in Angoor' fashion.

Gulgula said...

May be times have changed now ...

to me "plastic bag -> wooden box looking good" is an emotional blackmailing. It's like he's trying to grind your conscience to make money for free.

In my times, I found that most teenagers or kids were stranger shy. If they are so out-spoken now, i would be surprised. My guess is this particular guy was enterprising.

COOLDEEPTEA said...

Did you follow the links I suggested in the blog and read the Bunty blog? Its not just one particular enterprising kid man but a well-knit, well-trained gang of them. Had I remained in Pune a few more days I'd have tried busting them up!!

Gulgula said...

So you don't live in pune?

I didn't read the follow up link. Aapka blog hee kaafi hai. Hehehe.

COOLDEEPTEA said...

No, i dont live in pune.

The follow up links shall fill up some gaps that I intentionally left so as to avoid repetition.