Thursday 20 December, 2007

Tale of two belts

Folks, this one occurred right within an hour ago to me today.

And I am laughing hard even as I am typing.

Everything began with me seeking a belt for my favourite pair of jeans. Anyone who's been on a belt-hunt in Patna will agree with me that it's no mean task. From the footpath peddlers to the Lee/Levi’s shop assistant – each failed to sell me a belt that was buyable. Too broad, too bright, too tawdry, too expensive…this ‘too’ refused to stay away.

Except today, when while walking down the aisle of a nice mall, I came across just the right thing!

“Can you show me one just like this, but for adults?”

The shopkeeper kept looking at me stupidly.

“Huh?”

“One, just like this one”, (here I took the thingummy in hand), “but for adults, not children.”

Mom came behind my back, ever alert to prevent me buying something that I didn’t really need, as I am wont to do.

“What is all this, what do you need a belt for?”

“Mom, for my denims, what else do people need belts for!”

Before she could say anything the shop assistant chimed animatedly.

“But Madam, this belt is for dogs.”

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Every Dog has his day!!

June Nandy Chaudhuri said...

Well Deepti, I'll repeat what my above commentator Y_jamdar has said.No more no less than that.

Btw,so you nead to be strapped,huh?? Oh Boy,why can't the guys read the signals??

Poor girl.On second thoughts I think I'd have punched you had you been near me.:(

COOLDEEPTEA said...

Hehe...absolutely NOT, June. It was just a social gaffe, a real-life joke at my expense! The funniest thing was, I burst out laughing at myself while all the embarrassing act was done by the poor shop-assistant! (Madam चलिए ना, ऊपर आपके लिए भी मिल जायेंगे!) LOL

COOLDEEPTEA said...

I am actually wondering how I never realized that what I had been looking at were dog belts.

You see now I can faintly remember that dog food was kept on a shelf right above the belts and one of the belts kept there was red with white dog-bones printed over it! Boy o boy, do I need to get my spec numbers re-checked.

Manish said...

hurr, where were u! lost in your own thoughts, oblivious of the world, that u might have suddenly stopped by and asked for the belt. isnt?

Sushmita said...

Hahaha.
Good that you are laughing at yourself.

Me said...

memorable for a while!

Manish said...

on a contrary, U might have gone so much focused into searching out the belt that all the things might have begun to appear like one! ;-)
dog's belt might have come an easier deception.

COOLDEEPTEA said...

oh man i dont really know what i was up to! just picking one thing nd looking at another nd chatting with mom all at the same time...teaches one how to concentrate on the thing at hand!